How do you do it?
What would you recommend for beginners?
Candle Magick is one of the most basic magickal works IMO. I certainly do recommend it for beginners. Even if your not a beginner, it has its place in your magical repertoire. Each spell is different, and I'm not a witch who shares spells. But with candle magick there's always a "formula" I follow.
- First, if you can, make your candle from scratch. I know that's not always possible and store bought candles do work. But the more energy you put into your purpose the better.
- Second, carve key words into the side of your candle such as prosperity for more money or new job, success, protection, love, etc... Choose the appropriate buzz word(s) for your purpose.
- Anoint your candle with an herbal oil appropriate to your purpose. You can find these oils at most metaphysical stores or you can make your own.
- I like to place my candle in a bed of loose herbs as well. Please be careful of a fire. Never leave your candle unattended. As the wax melts it blends in with the herbs and adds energy to your purpose.
- Write your ritual and at the end, I always burn the paper I've written it on. While burning, I visualize my words as the smoke going up to spirit.
- Burn the entire candle. DO NOT reuse the candle for something else. Since most paraffin candles burn for many hours, you can extinguish the candle and re-light it later. In this case, save your written ritual and repeat it every time you light the candle. When you know your candle is about to go out for the last time, burn the paper.